The team was picked up at their hotel in Reykjavik at 5 AM today to drive to the glacier. They traveled for about 6 hours to Jokulheimar where they ran into a river that they weren't able to cross due to high water levels. They found a protected spot to camp about 1.5-2 km from the edge of the glacier. They were glad to find a protected area as the forecast is for gale force winds tonight. (Click on today's blog title to see the full dispatch including audio update)
Their location is N 64° 19.663, W 18° 11.948. They plan to get up very early tomorrow for an alpine start when it will be colder outside. They will find a way across the water to get to the start of the glacier. All are in good spirits. During the drive they further discussed glacier travel techniques and all feel prepared for the upcoming crossing.
Transcription of today's audio update for those following on mobile devices:
Hello. This is Annie calling from the edge of the Vatnajokull glacier in Iceland where we are about 2 km from the edge of the glacier. We had a very exciting day today with an awesome drive in our trucks across the Iceland highlands which was very exciting and very beautiful. At one point, one of the trucks got stuck up to its axles. We had to use the other truck to winch it out. We found it interesting to watch. We are camped with a big wind storm on us right now. But we’re in a great spot- we’re protected and we’re going to go to bed early, wake up early and ski across a braided stream to get to the edge of the Vatnajokull glacier and then we’re going to start the ascent and try to make as many miles as we can tomorrow. We’re all doing really well. We’re having a good time together and everyone is doing well. We hope you are having a good night. We will talk with you tomorrow. Bye-bye.
If you are enjoying this blog check out our Vatnajokull Ski Expedition page!