Fly to the North Pole
Following in the footsteps of aviation's greatest pioneers you'll embark on an incredible journey by air to the North Pole. Your adventure begins in the bustling Arctic village of Longyearbyen, Norway. Located well above the Arctic Circle, Longyearbyen is a delightful village with all the comforts of home. Our dash to the North Pole starts with a charter flight to the floating Barneo Ice Station, located roughly 20-60 miles from the North Pole (flight time approximately 2.5 hours from Longyearbyen).
From Barneo you'll board a helicopter for the final leg to the top of the world. Once at the North Pole we'll celebrate with photos to document your arrival, champagne toasts and a call home from the top of the world. You never know what might be going on at the North Pole during your visit. It could be quiet, with nothing to look at but the sculpted snow and ice of the Polar Sea or there may be sky divers landing, expedition teams arriving, or a couple getting married. Depending on the itinerary you choose you may opt to return to Longyearbyen, spend the Night at the North Pole or spend a night at the Barneo Ice Station. Whatever itinerary you choose we'll help you make the most of your visit to the top of the world. Ask our knowledgeable guides about this trip here.
Looking for more options? Click here for a quick glance of all our other North Pole expeditions.
- Equipment List
- Dates & Rates
- Trip Insurance
North Pole Flight Itinerary
- Arrive in Longyearbyen
- Day 1
- The morning is yours to explore the village or participate in one of the many guided snowmobile or dogsled tours that depart daily. We can make recommendations for dining and activities to maximize your free time in town. A pre-flight briefing is scheduled for the afternoon.
- Day 2
- Weather permitting, you'll fly to 89 degrees North and touchdown at the Barneo Ice Camp. You'll be invited into the heated tents and welcomed to Barneo. This is one of the most unusual basecamps in the world.
- Your trip to the North Pole will take place via MI-8 helicopter that is stationed at Barneo. The 20-40 minute flight will land you as close as possible to the geographic North Pole, where all time zones converge and every direction is south. A grand celebration will take place, including champagne toasts, dozens of photographs to document your arrival and a call home from the top of the world. The duration of our visit is largely determined by weather conditions and will likely last between 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Participants on our North Pole Flight with Overnight at Barneo will settle in for a cozy "night" on the ice. Of course "night-time" is only a word at this time of year you will actually be sleeping under the 24 hour sunlight of the polar spring. Darkened sleeping tents aid with your sleeping. Around the camp expeditioners from around the world may be preparing for their attempts to reach the North Pole by ski, dogsled, parachute, or scuba. And researchers from all corners of the globe may be conducting research. There is never a dull moment at Barneo! All meals will be provided during your stay at Barneo.
- Participants on the North Pole Same Day Flight will return to Longyearbyen and be transferred to their hotel. This is the official end of the expedition.
- Day 3
- Participants on our North Pole Flight with Overnight at Barneo will wake up and dress in warm clothing for the short walk across camp to the mess tent for breakfast. You will spend the morning at Barneo, preparing for your departure and saying good-bye to new friends. You may want to take one more trek around to photograph this historically significant basecamp, and to soak up the sites and sounds of the polar pack ice. The return flight to Longyearbyen usually gets you back in time for an evening meal and festivities. This is the official end of the expedition.
***Flight itinerary availability varies year to year. We organize and guide flight expeditions every year, but each itinerary is not always available every year. Please check with us for additional details.
North Pole Flight: Equipment List
Upon registration, you will receive a PolarExplorers comprehensive gear guide that explains the importance of each item as well as gear recommendations from our past participants.
- 1 insulated parka with hood
- 1 pair insulated pants
- 1 pair snow pack ski boots (bring your own or rent this item from PolarExplorers)
- 1 pair wool, silk, or synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms. NO COTTON!
- 2 pair heavy wool or synthetic socks
- 1 wool or fleece sweater (mid weight)
- 1 wool or fleece sweater (heavy weight)
- 1 wool or fleece hat (provided by PolarExplorers - yours to keep!)
- 1 neck gaiter
- 1 pair wool or synthetic gloves
- 1 pair wool or fleece mittens
- 1 pair sunglasses or snow goggles
- Casual clothing for lodge (shirt, pants, socks, pajamas, underwear, etc.)
- Casual but sturdy shoes for lodge and wearing around Longyearbyen
- 1 pair slippers for inside buildings in Longyearbyen
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, etc.)
- Personal medications (with prescription for customs!)
- Luggage locks
North Pole Flight Qualifications
Our North Pole Flights are for people who want to experience the North Pole, but don't have the time, energy or funding to do a full expedition.
People on our flights have ranged in age from 1 to 81 years! All of these trips require that you can climb several stairs into and out of the plane as well as being able to walk across the uneven terrain of the pack ice. We can assist you as necessary.
Contact us for more information on this fabulous trip of a lifetime here.
North Pole Flight Dates & Rates
Tentative 2021 Dates:
April 15-18, 2021
2021 pricing: TBD
€22,000 per person (2020 pricing)
Want to pay in USD? Contact us for more details.
- Pre-expedition assistance with all your Longyearbyen bookings (accommodations, special activities, etc.)
- Pick up at the Longyearbyen airport and transfer to hotel
- North Pole Flight
- Accommodations and meals at the Barneo Basecamp
- Use of our Satellite phone to call make a call from the North Pole
- Custom North Pole certificate and award
- "Ready-to-give" North Pole Powerpoint presentation for your personal use.
A 25% deposit will hold your space. Payment in full is due by December 1, 2019. Must arrive in Longyearbyen at least one full day prior to the first expedition activities.
Expedition Trip Insurance
Trip cancellation insurance is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for every PolarExplorers expedition.
Medical Evacuation insurance with a minimum coverage of $300,000 USD is REQUIRED on every PolarExplorers expedition.
Ensure that your policy covers your activity, destination and any pre-existing medical conditions (to cover pre-existing medical conditions you may need to purchase your policy within 14 days or less of your initial deposit).
If you are mountaineering check that the policy covers roped technical mountain travel and the elevation limit that you will have.
Ripcord Insurance (For non-US residents use the Offer Code "ripcordintl" which will enable you to receive quotes and/or purchase policies.) If your expedition is more than USD $30,000 you may need to send an email to: ClientServices@redpointresolutions.com or call them at +1 617-307-4636
If you live in the USA you have additional options.
Travelex Insurance - Choose the TRAVEL SELECT policy and add the ADVENTURE PLUS PAK to receive appropriate medical evacuation coverage.
Travel Guard has comprehensive policies that include trip cancellation or you can purchase a Single Trip Medical Evacuation Important! You must include the optional Adventure Sports coverage upgrade if you are climbing any mountains or traveling in rope teams. (Pre-existing medical coverage is not available with this policy.)
PolarExplorers North Pole Flights Testimonials
I also appreciate all the "extra" touches you used to make us much more entertained, comfortable and happy; especially the golf, dogsledding, skiing, treats, cheeses, and of course the wine and Grand Khaan vodka. The stories are fun to tell and it was all made so much better due to your wonderful organization and cheerful leadership. I had the best time....ever!Larry Koplan
We had a GREAT time. Thank you for offering such an opportunity. Not only going to the North Pole but the activities in beautiful Svalbard were top drawer. We have no complaints and many thanks.Bonnie Wade
This was a great experience. Outstanding leadership & travel companions. I was totally satisfied.Bob Spehar